Tuktu Pizza Recipe
A Northern twist on an Italian favourite! Quick and easy pizza with tuktu (caribou) as the star! Who doesn't love pizza??
Recipe by Aqqiumavvik Society
Whole wheat flour
Oil (vegetable, canola, or olive)
Tomato sauce (pasta or pizza sauce)
Tuktu/Caribou (cut into bite sized pieces and/or ground)
Deli meats (salami, pepperoni, and/or ham)
Shredded cheese (mozzarella and/or cheddar)
Turn on oven to 350*F
1. In a large bowl; add 1 1/2 cup of white flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, 2 tablespoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mix well.
2. Make a well ("hole") in the middle of the flour mixture. Pour in 4 tablespoons of oil and 1 cup of water. First mix with a spoon and then use your hands to ensure all the flour is well combined, knead for a couple of minutes.
3. Grease a baking sheet or pizza pan with oil or lard. Spread dough evenly over pan, making sure the dough reaches all sides. Set aside to rest the dough.
4. Chop up onions, peppers and mushrooms. Set aside.
5. Heat up oil in frying pan on medium-high heat. Add tuktu and fry until golden brown.
6. Drain excess oil and moisture from tuktu. Set aside.
7. Spread tomato sauce over dough, leaving the outer edge open as crust.
8. Scatter the tuktu over the sauce, then layer the deli meats on top.
9. Add the chopped vegetables over the deli meats and top with shredded cheese.
10. Place in preheated 350*F oven for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and melted and the crust is a light golden brown underneath.
!Wait a few minutes to allow to cool, then cut into slices with your largest ulu. Serve and enjoy!