Marinated Maktaaq Salad
Try out this fresh summer salad using ingredients found locally in Arviat. Late summer is a great time for both maktaaq and paunnait, and both ingredients are featured in this recipe.
Recipe by Olivia Tagalik.
Paunnait (fireweed) flowers
Pepper leaves (or substitute spinach)
Lettuce (leafy kind is best)
Maktaaq (whale skin and blubber)
1. Cut the maktaaq into medium-large pieces. Boil in water until tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from water and set aside to cool.
2. Once cooled, grate the maktaaq into fine pieces. Add enough vinegar to cover the grated maktaaq and refrigerate overnight.
3. Remove flowers from stems/leaves. Rinse the flowers, being careful to keep them intact. Set aside.
4. Rinse the pepper leaves and lettuce carefully. Chop up smaller if the leaves are quite large. Place a handful into each bowl to create a bed of lettuce.
5. Remove marinating maktaaq from fridge and place about a tablespoon on each bed of lettuce. Drizzle some of the left over vinegar over each bowl of salad.
6. Garnish each salad with a few paunnait flowers.
Serve and enjoy.